So after work I went with Nauman because he wanted to grab a new flash for his camera. But even after a tiring ordeal we couldn’t get our hands on it so still starving we decided to catch a decent dinner. We went to California Grill for some steaks, and well they were pretty decent.
The reason why I am writing about it is because just across our table I saw a little dark skinned boy, sitting on an empty table, looking around in confusion and looking awfully out of place. I changed my angle to notice that he is with a family with all of the men in long beards and shalwar-kameez, and women all covered up in Abayas. While they munched on their dear food, this boy settled on keeping his back to them and looking around at stuff. As if looking at the people who though speak his language, share nothing with him.
I and Nauman discussed for a while what should we do. One of my ideas was to actually approach the head of the family, take him aside and then ask him like what the hell is wrong with you? Another idea was to just ask him if we can give some food to the boy? But finally we settled for just calling in the waiter and asking him to bring a plate of fries for the kid, and charge us for it. Our waiter looked slightly surprised but readily complied. It was quite a sorry sight seeing how the boy ate those fries, making it more than obvious how hungry he must have been.
Though I have blogged about it before, but I cannot stress enough how much disgusting I find this practice of hiring a Nanny or caretaker for your children who is just a year or two older than your own! And worst of all taking them to these fancy restaurants where they just sit in a corner and stare like lost cows at other people. Have you ever thought what will all this mental and psychological insult will do to you if you were growing up in that situation? Worse of all knowing any biology you should be aware that it is a mere coincidence that you are not that child sitting in that sad place.
Even on religious level, yes I am going to judge them in that way because they chose to keep long beards, dress up very religiously and cover themselves up blaming religion for it. How is that even an Islamic treatment of a child or a servant under your care?
I am totally gutted at this insensitivity we exhibit all too often and it was lucky for them that my phone’s battery died on me otherwise I would have posted pictures of the family along with this post.
Oh and yes, no good deed goes unrewarded, the waiter brought us a Chocolate Moose cake and said it is complimentary from the restaurant.
- ping-pong-amnesia reblogged this from umalik
- ramblingsofanarchitect likes this
- dollface1990 likes this
- ms-sparkle likes this
- beautifulsiesta likes this
- iss-blog-ko-kya-naam-doon likes this
- nsybt likes this
- deep-inwonderland likes this
- someone-akalmand likes this
- um-er said: People are very superficial when it comes to religion, have a long beard, MashaAllah, a tasbeeh in hand, go the the mosque 5 times a day and then do things like this.
- um-er likes this
- ankaheebatein likes this
- helpmeflyyy said: such a shame. I need to message you soon on pk related topics, its on my to do list :P
- quaint-hearts likes this
- he-nah likes this
- sundas likes this
- salmankhattak likes this
- rabiat reblogged this from umalik
- bruddstykker likes this
- abeyaargulabjamun reblogged this from umalik and added:
- abeyaargulabjamun likes this
- irfanasworld likes this
- the-sexpat-life said: I love their Hawaiian Steak. But yeah, that aside, that’s fucked up shit. You guys did the right thing.
- wanderonwards said: It’s disgusting. I’m glad you did what you did. Hopefully it’ll shame the family in to more humane treatment of their worker next time - although I doubt it. May Allah help them.
- the-sexpat-life likes this
- sanwalisaloni likes this
- umalik posted this