Going point by point about the events which happened in last 24 hours:
- Though General Kiyani seems to have gained a clearer perspective and has started to accept this war on terrorism as our own war - there is a large number of Pakistani who still aren’t sold about it.
- I am in respect for how Pakistan Air Force security men and Commandos were able to contain these terrorists and finish the operation in less than three hours. However for those who are still critical of response time, as I’ve already said - easy for you to say when you don’t have to hold a gun and repel an ambush attack at 2am by highly trained terrorists who happen to be wearing your own uniform.
- One young Air force man, Mohammad Asif, lost his life after successfully keeping the terrorists pinned down until the reinforcements arrived. I am still in awe of this man’s valour as of how he was able to do that! Keeping in view that he was up against at least 7 highly armed men and this soldier would have only got a few clips on him!
- Many Pakistanis still do not understand that these “Taliban” are not asking for withdrawal of US and NATO forces from Afghanistan only, they are now openly talking about imposing the same misinformed laws they once had in Afghanistan for Pakistan! Now I wonder how many of us are willing to stop listening to music in their car let along their women getting beaten on the streets for wearing white shoes?
- PAF also gets my respect for the fact that a base commander Air Commodore Muhammad Azam personally led the operation and even received a bullet wound in his shoulder (now in stable condition). Goes on to show the dedication of these men in uniform.
Pakistan desperately needs some serious and concentrated efforts at pro-Pakistani propaganda for her own people! If a nation is still undecided after attacks on GHQ, Mehran Airbase, soldiers, mosques and civilians - something is really wrong!