For all of you out there trying not to get married, here is some help.
I don’t know why but earlier today I went through fee structure of some of the Lahore’s more famous (infamous) schools. What I found out is something like this:
1. They are expensive.
2. Some of them are very expensive.
3. They are so expensive by Pakistani standards that they are not even pretentious in a funny manner.
Anyway for my supposed-future-kid I need to pay following in annual fees just for their Kindergarten years (fees are in USD because most of them require you to pay in that mode):
- The International School of Choueifat: $2,850 pa
- Lahore American School: $8,840 pa + $2,500 Reg fee (one-time only, thank God!) + $150 (family activity) + expect yearly increase of not more than $1,000 (thank you!) = $8,890 pa after first year’s $11,490
- Aitchison College: ~ $2,500 pa
Now I do not really mind paying that (especially for Aitchison), but the interesting point for me was that if you are paying that much for your kid’s fee you might get asked for a near matching amount as a pocket money. Further when you get asked for pocket money, you are also asked for extra perks around that pocket money. So you are essentially talking about another $2,500 for miscellaneous expenses if your kid is really that “understanding”.
With that kind of expenses just on education and basic needs of my kid (i.e. a single supposed-future-kid) I either need to go back to a job outside Pakistan or essentially start my own industry of some sort (preferably one where I just mint green bucks no one can catch).
In short, I think if you are looking for an excuse to delay your marriage - this is like MOTHER of all excuses!
In other news, I got to read some Urdu and I even picked up a mistake or two from it. Made me really happy!